I was carried to Ohio in a swarm of bees

The National - Bloodbuzz Ohio

Stand up straight at the foot of your love
I'll lift my shirt up
Stand up straight at the foot of your love
I'll lift my shirt up

I was carried to Ohio in a swarm of bees
I never married but Ohio don't remember me

~ Bloodbuzz Ohio by The National


For Bethany whose fault it is Bloodbuzz Ohio is stuck in my head.

I couldn't make heads or tails of what the lyrics meant but luckily Bethany gave her opinion and some others she'd found online. Long story short what Bethany said in her blog comments...

"This song is about being underwater financially on his home and being in debt to the creditors to the point he will never be able to repay his loans. The writer is on a blood-buzz because the blood has been sucked out of him. He has given his creditors the shirt off of his back and his head is now an ornament on their car. He never thought about love when he thought about home is a polite way of saying that he's been f__ked in a real estate transaction along with everyone he knows, whose floors are falling out from under them."


Kind of amazing the song pulled me to this picture. The subject has run out of options and money and is living in a junkyard, in a bus with his wife and no electricity or running water.

[where: 45202]best place to learn how to live downtown cincinnati ohio the ethos of Cincinnati


1 comment

1 comment:

  1. It's funny you posted this because I was compelled to comment my interpretation of the lyrics on my post last night. I don't know what it is about this song but I'm enamored with what means. I like your photo interpretation :D

    ReplyDelete