revisit[ed] why I (still) love America

This post is from last year right after the election, but with all the craziness, I thought it would be good to revisit.

Everyone yesterday was either in ecstasy or agony it seems over the election and all seemed perplexed that I had no strong feelings one way or the other thinking I lacked passion on the issue, so as simply as I can, here is an explanation of my philosophy on the election.
A couple thousand years ago a Greek philosopher, I can’t remember his name or if he even had one, climbed to the top of a mountain and witnessed black forms racing past on the countryside below and watched as they changed shape climbing or descending the hills and valley. He realized that while they were flat and featureless the shadows were projections of the infinitely complex and beautiful clouds. As he walked down, glancing over his shoulder the mountain slowly changed and he came to the conclusion, the mountain had not changed, just his view of it. Days later he determined that everything on earth was an imperfect projection of its perfect ideal. So every tree is an imperfect projection of that one perfect tree, every animal an imperfect projection of that one perfect animal, for example. That’s why Greek art are never portraits of an individual, but rather an attempt to capture that perfect ideal.
So, I am not upset at the outcome of the election because it doesn’t change the perfect ideal of what the United States represent, it only changes its projection like a shadow passing over uneven ground.

Short North Columbus
[where: 45202]best place to learn how to live downtown cincinnati ohio the ethos of Cincinnati
comments?

1 comment:

  1. Oh I love this!! Thank you for putting your thoughts down... I think I feel exactly the same way you do.

    ~Amanda (@mishlamanda)

    ReplyDelete