just another manic manday

Decided I was having a "man" day for the birthday, I hate to over plan so the only thing I really had in mind was getting a shave.
An old school straight razor shave like the gangsters do in the movies.
Interestingly, when I first got a job in Cincinnati, I thought, awesome, big old historic city there's bound to be half a dozen places I can do this on a regular basis.
Ha, how disappointed was I that it would take six years before I found a place? Not surprising is how I located Salzano's Barber, I read about it in Cincinnati's newest online publication for men, Cincinnati Profile. And that was that, it was all I talked about so Ms 5chw4r7z got me a gift certificate for Christmas and I decided right then it would be used on my birthday.
Having applications of balm, then hot towels, then cream, more hot towels is amazing. If this is what women feel like at the spa I can see why they're so popular, the pampering was so relaxing. And afterwards, I was grinning like a madman and couldn't stop touching my cheecks, I've never had a shave this close before, my face was softer than a baby's butt.

Salzano's
Salzano's
Salzano's
Salzano's
Salzano's
Salzano's

And this is why I hate to over plan, spontaneity has a way of making good things great.
Got home all relaxed wondering what to do with the rest of the day when a tweet came in from Cafe de Wheels telling me they were buying me lunch. I can't pass up a wheels burger, you can argue with me whether its the best burger in Cincinnati or not, but you'd be wrong.
Cafe de Wheels
Cafe de Wheels

What do you follow up a whole beef man burger with? I follow it up with a cigar at Strauss Tabacco.
Nada

After that I had a mellow going that wasn't gonna stop and strolled to Lackman, the best bar in Cincinnati. Tad is a fellow beer lover and hasn't done me wrong yet. I like the fact they buy smaller batches of beer, turn it over and have a constant supply of new and interesting stuff. I went in for the Hopslam but ended up with Bell's batch 10,000. A good idea that could have gone horribly wrong, Batch 10,000 uses up all the stock of brewing ingredients they have left. How fortunate for us, as craftsmen, the Batch 10,000 is as good as anything Bell's has brewed.
Lackman
Lackman
Lackman
Lackman

All that was left was to follow it up at my favorite restaurant, Nada.
Nada
Nada
Nada
[where: 45202]best place to learn how to live downtown cincinnati ohio the ethos of Cincinnati
4 comments

4 comments:

  1. I loved the photos of you in the barber shop! There is a small old Italian family barber shop close to me & I now wonder if they offer straight blade shaves. The son is mostly running the place now. Bet those ended when the father retired (Biondo's on Pleasant Avenue in Fairfield, tiny shop)

    What I want to know is, who took the pictures with the razors on your neck & the towels on your face? They captured some great stuff & you were trusting with your camera.

    Not to mention the blade. Thanks for sharing.

    Soph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia,
    You know no one touches my camera but me, I took all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A blogger letting someone near his throat with a sharp blade? You are either a brave man or a foolhardy one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. now that's how you celebrate a manbirthday!

    ReplyDelete