Anderson Ferry

I never stopped to think about what the "ferry" in Anderson Ferry really meant, and then somewhere I saw a reference to it, and figured it would be a cool excuse for a bike ride. The terrain on the two sides of the Ohio river are like night and day, just like the culture and attitudes are different.
The Kentucky side tree lined, narrow, curvy and hilly. Not a straight line in sight, meant for a relaxed no rush enjoyable experience. The Ohio side straight, relatively level and nothing to distract, all businesslike and to the point.
Now I have to say, riding the bikes I much preferred the Ky side being as scenic as it was to the Ohio side, but it did have a good tail wind and got us home fast which I is about the only thing appreciated about it.
Anderson Ferry
Anderson Ferry
Anderson Ferry
I was surprised to see on a Saturday afternoon a huge line of cars on both sides of the river waiting to cross, amazing that its worth $4 not to have to make the long trip east to cross the river.
Just being out to enjoy the day, I was a little disapointed the trip only lasted 10 minutes tops, but they're there to hustle people across not sight see.
Anderson Ferry
Anderson Ferry
Anderson Ferry
Anderson Ferry[where: 45202]best place to learn how to live downtown cincinnati ohio the ethos of Cincinnati
4 comments

4 comments:

  1. The Anderson Ferry is a fun little ride, and it's worth the fee, in my opinion. We took it last year and, umm, I guess I'd expected an actual ferry. We drove onto what I thought was a pier [but which was the barge that is the ferry], and we were halfway across the river before I realized that this was it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last summer we would ride way out on the west side until it got dark, haul as back and catch the ferry over to KY and then ride into town and stop for a beer in Covington or Newport....I miss those rides...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the ferry. I drove my dad to the airport last week and specifically took the ferry back into Cincinnati just because I wanted to ride it even though I live in KY. The people who run it are great too. I did an essay on them awhile ago:

    http://queencitydiscovery.blogspot.com/2009/03/take-ride-on-anderson-ferry.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a clickable link to Grodon Bombay's much better blog post

    ReplyDelete