Microcelebrity and the fall of Rome

Microcelebrity;the phenomenon of being extremely well known not to millions but to a small group.
Jackie and I were talking about this a couple weeks ago, I don't like to post my own picture although it does make in on from time to time, its still a little strange over the past month that half a dozen people have asked me if I have a blog. I've been thinking about the impact of all this; blogs, twitter, forums, flickr and how I interact and insert them into my life. I have unconsciously at first but now deliberately been developing the brand "5chw4r7z" and unifying its look across the web. I'm not sure what it all means or how it works yet but I almost always have my camera with me snapping pictures, so if you live/work/play downtown, make sure you're dressed for your close-up — because there will be photos, and those photos will end up online.

About once a year someone revisits this story.
Learn from the fall of Rome, US warned
Drawing parallels with the end of the Roman empire, Mr Walker warned there were “striking similarities” between America’s current situation and the factors that brought down Rome, including “declining moral values and political civility at home, an over-confident and over-extended military in foreign lands and fiscal irresponsibility by the central government”
I always tell people, "sure comparing what two different things have in common is all fine and well, thats what humans do best, but its the differences that you have to look at". The Roman Empire and the U.S. have things in common but they also have one major difference, Rome didn't have the A-10 Thunderbolt with a hydraulically-driven seven-barrel Gatling-type rotary cannon firing depleted uranium penetrators that cut through armour like a knife through butter at 1,800 rounds per minute.

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I met a guy recently and I said, "Oh, how was ice skating?" And he asked how I knew that he had gone and I said a friend of his blogged about it and took a picture and I recognized him. It is a small world sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats funny, and downtown isn't that small anymore, it sometimes seems like I can't walk a block without seeing and talking to someone I know.
    Add an online presence and it gets even smaller.
    I can't believe we haven't met yet, our blogs cross paths all over. I bet we've stood side by side somewhere and not even realized i.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on one of your posts, I think I got to the DRC party at UG after you guys had left. We need to meet up on the Square for cigars sometime! (La Gloria Cubanas is about as fancy as I get.)

    ReplyDelete