[im]possible OTR

My ears perked up and I began eavesdropping on two older women last Saturday in Northern Kentucky when I heard one mention volleyball. 'It was successful in Mason and somehow OTR stole it away" she said "That won't last, I won't even go to Findlay Market any more because its become so dangerous."
The thing that struck me most about that statement is not what you might think, the same old prejudice, but since I don't watch news anymore, what has been happening that I have missed?
All that aside the juxtaposition of beach volleyball in the middle of a dense urban neighborhood?
My eyes were continuously pulled from the sand to the buildings to the players to the sand to the buildings. On and on. Crazy but there it was.

AVP OTR
AVP OTR
AVP OTR
H.L.A. representing
AVP OTR
[where: 45202] best place to learn how to live downtown cincinnati ohio the ethos of Cincinnati

8 comment

8 comments:

  1. Survive and Advance...sounds like OTR!

    ReplyDelete
  2. were those FJs just hanging out or was Toyota a sponsor?

    and i deal with the 'OTR is dangerous' conversation nearly every day. i work in NKY with guys who live in NKY. none of them will ever step foot in OTR. the one guy wouldn't even let his daughter consider UC because 'the campus is too dangerous'. i understand the urban environment isn't for everyone but it's a shame that the only ones spreading the negative mindset are the ones who never go there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure Toyota was a sponsor.
    And I don't bother engaging negative people anymore, I figure everyone who is going to go has gone, everyone else, nothing I say is going to change anyone's mind.
    Maybe they'll see my blog and realize people are there every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked in OTR & there were guys there who would not set foot outside the building except to run back & forth to their cars & then drive in & out as fast as possible.
    Meanwhile others walked around & ate lunch, etc. without a problem. But we were "lucky".
    But I didn't realize this tournament was that tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 5chw4r7z whether you know it or not, you engage negative people everyday. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the suburbanites of Cincinnati really need to remove their heads from whatever dark holes they're keeping them in these days... They also need to learn to keep their invalid opinions to themselves as well. If you refuse to come down to the neighborhood, don't talk about it because you don't have the slightest clue as to what is going on... OTR is one of the best, nicest neighborhoods I've lived in yet since I've moved to Cincinnati.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't mind the usual suburbanite talking trash, after all, they only know what they know.
    However, I was infuriated when I heard a guy in a public space saying that he "wouldn't go to the Banks or OTR after dark without a gun.". Certain that I was hearing another suburbanite without a clue, I asked when he had last been downtown? Long story short, this guy was a captain in the Cincinnati fire department!!! I get that it helps the union to claim that downtown is a hell hole, but to dis your employeer in public should really be an issue, no matter what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rather than go after any specific individuals I'm more interested in what they're seeing in the news and in the paper.
    I'm guessing its very good for ratings and page views to slam the city.So if that's in people's faces what are they supposed to think?

    ReplyDelete